Burgundy sunflower

Burgundy sunflower
Crescent Moon Designs Henna Art

Friday, December 17, 2010

Lesson Learned

I am participating in a reflection on the past year through reverb.com. I started a  few days ago, late to the party, but it's still useful.  Each day, a new prompt arrives, and it spurs thought and reflection, and sometimes some writing.

Today's prompt from Tara Weaver (author of The Butcher and The Vegetarian): Lesson learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?

I learned a lot this year, but I will venture that the most important thing I learned was to listen to pain, work through it, and keep exercising.  Exercise gives me energy that lasts through the day. After my last surgery, I started waking up an hour before my husband and I use that time to do my exercise video workout.  I figure anything from 30-60 minutes per day has got to be good.  My muscles are getting stronger and my flexibility is returning.  But the best part is the increased energy.  Once the chronic pain of the arthritis was removed, euphoria set in and I had a torrent of energy and ideas and I struggled to keep up with.  This, of course, was not a level that I could maintain.  Sadly.  I am now back to my normal self.  I force myself to get out of bed and turn on the dvd player, but once I hear that peppy music and hear the instructor's encouragement, I'm off and walking.  And then I feel great!  This is a good new habit that I intend to nurture in the new year.


Regular cardio exercise also has improved my mood -- I have less anxiety and feel more on an even keel. I also have better concentration. (This could also be influenced by an absence of chronic pain.).

So the lesson actually learned this year is that I need to exercise every day for 30-60 minutes, and I've managed to make it a morning habit.  We'll see what I can do when I go to visit the in-laws for 10 days in the cold, damp, and freezing (did I mention that it's cold?) NE... but at least I've got a routine at home.

Of course, there are lots of lessons I need to learn and make habits....but one step at a time, regular exercise is a pretty big one.

No comments:

Post a Comment