Burgundy sunflower

Burgundy sunflower
Crescent Moon Designs Henna Art

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jobs and Work


Mike Rowe talks about Dirty Jobs

I just finished watching Mike Rowe ruminate on work and the nature of work and his previous conceptions and changed visions and I realize that Work and job are two different things.

You clock into a job, you fulfill your duties and you can't wait until break, lunch, quitting time.  You do your time and then you retire.  Jobs are for only the money.

Work is what you do.  When I view taking care of the husband, house and cats as work instead of a series of chores, it has meaning and dignity.  That's not to say I enjoy cleaning those litterboxes or vacuuming, but I can see them in the bigger context of my work. It is, unfortunately, undervalued and underpaid, but it needs to be done and so I do it.  Do I have a passion for housework?  Not really.  I do have a passion for my husband and my cats and for cooking and living in a nice place.  Work is how I maintain these things.  It is never done.  There is always something else that needs doing, but every once in awhile I can sit at the table and smile because I know dinner is delicious, the spouse is happy to be home and the cats are sleeping on the sofa.

I could, however, do with a job or two... just to get some money flowing in... nothing wrong with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment