Burgundy sunflower

Burgundy sunflower
Crescent Moon Designs Henna Art

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

To blog or not to blog....who and why



I realized fairly early on in this blog that I really have no clue what I'm doing, so I signed up for a 4-week blog course.  It's a self-paced online class designed by Alyson Stanfield (http://www.artbizblog.com/) and Cynthia Morris (http://www.originalimpulse.com/) and our first lesson is to identify whom we envision is reading our blog -- the target audience -- you!

I am writing for kindred souls.  Age is not a factor, but a curiosity and sense of wonder about the world are.  My ideal reader has traveled or longs to, loves to eat a variety of global cuisines, admires science and loves learning about how the forces in nature that shape our world and Universe.  He/She will like henna and may be a colleague.  I hope to generate engaging content so my readers will respond and interact.

Through blogging, I hope to gain clarity about my goals and methods.  I hope the writing process will not only crystallize thoughts but also generate new ideas, especially through discourse with my readers.  I am not an expert in anything, but I am enjoying the learning adventure and hope you, the reader, will enjoy briefly taking a ride with me.

2 comments:

  1. Natasha: My name is Marly; I saw your comment on "The Art Of Nonconformity," and liked what you said, especially about the cat naps, so followed your link. I also just started a blog this year, www.makingmyownwork.blogspot.com, which is my journal of starting five businesses so I can achieve financial independence. Thought you sounded like a kindred soul, despite the fact that I've traveled very little and am the inveterate homebody, I want to be done cooking in ten minutes and hate to experiment, studying science confuses me, and I don't really care one way or the other about henna. (smile)

    I would not consider myself a visual artist, (I can't even decorate a decent poster!) But I definitely identify myself as a literary artist (the blog and several novels in the works) and a performance artist (am just getting into stand-up comedy and professional adult storytelling.) Guess I'd also call myself a physical artist as a professional massage therapist.
    Speaking of which, you might want to seriously consider finding a good massage therapist to help deal with the pain from the hip surgery. Tell her you definitely don't want what we call "Deep Tissue Massage." If she's hurting you, tell her to ease up ,and if she won't, get somebody else. Depending on where you live, it can be an expensive proposition, but you would be amazed at how well a good massage can relieve your pain, even if it's only once a month. I'm assuming you are in physical therapy. Consider talking to your therapist and your doctor; it's possible your insurance will pay for at least some of your massage sessions. If you can't afford that, I might be able to teach you a few tricks that might help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marly,
    You are a kindred soul! I am definitely going to check out your blog. I am moving more in the writing direction because my henna only makes income in the summer, and the other stuff isn't selling.

    Comedy sounds so hard! Public speaking isn't -- I've done a lot of teaching and do presentations at most of the county libraries -- it's fun and it keeps me out of trouble.

    Massage sounds wonderful...muscles around the incision site are very stiff indeed! I'll look into what my insurance covers. I'm not doing PT because my surgeon believes only in walking after surgery...but I'm almost back to my full range of motion so something must be working!

    ReplyDelete