Burgundy sunflower

Burgundy sunflower
Crescent Moon Designs Henna Art

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Energy vs. Time Management

I am reading The Power of Full Engagement by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz which argues that time management is not the best way to achieve more but that managing one's energy is the way to peak performance.

So far, what I've read seems like common sense. It's about balance.  Many of us are caught up in a cycle of doing, doing, doing without taking a moment to catch a breath of air, notice our surroundings, or recharge the batteries we are so busily depleting.  This book urges us to stop, take a moment to reflect on how we treat ourselves (whether we are eating healthy fuel and maintaining our physical strength with exercise and rest), whether we are living in tune with our core values (spending enough time on the things that are important and less energy on the things that just have to be done), and where our passions lie.

I had to take a reading break to take photos of the roses in the backyard.
My favorite rose!

This one was hidden underneath the branches.

This book is making me think about values and priorities and where I spend my energy.  And that's definitely worth pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment