Burgundy sunflower

Burgundy sunflower
Crescent Moon Designs Henna Art

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Working on moving to a new platform

It has been a long time since I thought, wrote and made things in html.  A LONG time.  Back in the day when I was an admin support for the astronomy department at the University of Texas, webpages were new and I made one for the department, and then I made on for myself.... it was all straight html, and the language wasn't too different from LaTeX which I had to know in order to format papers for journals and NSF proposals.

But if you don't use it, you lose.  I used to read and write Chinese fluently, too.  Now I can barely figure out which is the appropriate restroom and whether something has chicken in it on a menu...
A classic poem by Li Bai

So, when I made the goal of shaking off the shackles of dependence on a web-building template and making my site from scratch so I can get all the strands of my cyber life under one site.... I underestimated how much I'd forgotten.  And how much things have changed since I last knew them...

I had hoped to launch the NEW! IMPROVED! INTEGRATED! site this week-end, but that hasn't happened.  My old Dreamweaver program was so corrupted, I had to upgrade and now I need a book to understand what's going on.... and the freeware that come with the new hosting package has a very high learning curve for customization... if I'm going to spend hours learning how to do something, I might as well learn Dreamweaver since it's more useful than another template-driven piece of freeware.

Oh, and life kind of got in the way of the blog as well.  I got a superb day job last week doing admin support for a local catering company and have been brain-logged from learning all the details of HALF the job, and then the cats complained that I wasn't spending enough time with them... so blog to the wayside for awhile.

I'll keep posting and when the new site is up and running, I'll create links so you can find your way to the new space.

No comments:

Post a Comment