Burgundy sunflower

Burgundy sunflower
Crescent Moon Designs Henna Art

Friday, January 28, 2011

Thoughts on Creativity

"Creativity is the quality that you bring to the activity that you are doing. It is an attitude, an inner approach – how you look at things . . . Whatsoever you do, if you do it joyfully, if you do it lovingly, if your act of doing is not purely economical, then it is creative." –  Osho


This is a quote that I found on a page of creativity inspiration on The Abundance Blog at Marelisa.com.  It's quote  46, and I found that it resonated with me.  I have long believed that everything I do springs from a creative center and I am happiest when I work from that center -- whether I am pruning the trees in the yard, mopping the floor, or doing henna.

Lately, I have not felt very connected with my creative center. I find the anxiety over not having an abundance of well-paying work (or any well-paying work) is interfering with my inspiration and my usual joie de vivre.  It did not help matters that I almost got scammed last week by a headhunter who promised me a nice wage for fairly simple work.  I almost fell for the scam because I am feeling so desparate for work. Fortunately, a friend had just seen an interview on TV about the very job I was about to accept -- and I was able to decline the offer before I got into trouble. I am so lucky!

But I feel burned.  I feel dispirited and am not sure where to go next.  Well-meaning friends suggest waitressing and other minimum-wage jobs. But I have tried getting entry-level jobs only to be told that I'm overqualified, and besides, I want to use my skills and talents and gifts rather than just spend time at a job doing busywork.  However, finding that job is easier said than done.

In the meantime, I need to reclaim my creative center and rekindle that spark of joy.

3 comments:

  1. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such a thing as a dead end job.... IF ... and this is a really big IF; there's no such a thing as a dead end job, if you are using your income to pursue your goals. If you are willing to live on bare minimum, and use the extra money to buy supplies or equipment or the computer you need, then, I say, it's not a waste of your time. In my opinion, a minimum wage job only becomes a waste when you use the income to buy things that will not help you produce more income, within reason.

    At the same time, Natasha, I know what you mean about being tempted to take just about anything. Somebody just told me that my local store is hiring food sample giver-outters for (2) 4 hour days a week, and they make $10 an hour. $80 a week would help tremendously in achieving my goals and paying off basic bills, etc. But physically, due to the foot problem, there's no way I could handle standing for four hours a day; I have trouble standing for ten minutes.

    I don't presume to tell you what to do, my friend, as I'm not walking in your shoes nor have your same talents. You might consider going to sponsoredreviews.com and payperpost.com. both of which I've just signed up for. Have no idea if they are any good or not. Tell me what your background is,and if I hear of anything else, I'll pass it on to you.

    Also, it seems the focus of my blog is changing a little, so over the next week or so, I"ll be changing my profile to better reflect that change. Could I ask you to review the new profile to see if it makes sense, and hopefully, makes you really want to read the blog? Marly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Natasha!

    I just found you through Chris Guillebeau's blog, and had a look at your henna site. Whoa! So interesting and beautiful (I've always loved henna.) I love the quote that you wrote, and I STRONGLY believe in the last part- "if your act of doing is not purely economical, then it is creative."

    People who think that art is impractical are the same ones who categorize work as either "economical" or "not." But economical merely refers to a certain kind of value (represented by money), while creativity is of another kind of incredible value- to humanity! Creative work is the only kind of work that ultimately matters, and I see that sentiment resonating so strongly in your post. I think it would be a tragedy for someone as passionate as you to work a min-wage job and sacrifice your time and energy for your greater work.

    That said, you already have a website! Not to mention this blog! I'm just starting out myself, but I haven't spent the last half year studying online business and websites for nothing. If you combined the genuine thoughts + personality on this blog with that of your business website, it would become a new online experience altogether. There are so many ways you could expand the work you do online, and extend invitations to people who would love to pay you to be your creative self. It's not easy (or conventional!) but being creative means doing it with your work AND your life, right? :)

    If you ever want to chat, I'm @teezeng on Twitter! Cheers & best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!

    @Marly, I'm already signed up with TWO in-store sampling companies and they have no work for me right now -- but if they do, I'll take it b/c in-store sampling is way fun. (and it pays pretty good, too)

    @teezeng, I will be asking you lots of questions!

    ReplyDelete